Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sacramento and San Francisco

Thursday March 13, 2008:I arrived at the Sacramento Airport and was picked up and greeted by my old friend, Cheryl, whom I have known for over half my life now. It seems crazy that time goes by so fast, and that I have known her that long. We were roommates at the Air Force Academy and lived together in Tucson for a few years after we both left the Academy. I hadn’t seen her in 9 years or so, and it was truly great to see her and be able to spend time with her.
The plan was to take sunset photos of the Tower Bridge in Old Sac. We walked along the Sacramento River (I think this is what it is called) searching for the right spot, which we found on the deck at Joe’s Crab Shack on the river. Once the spot was found, we browsed in some stores. It was such a cute area! Cheryl invited some of her friends to join us for dinner, of whom I really liked. I had good time at dinner, though we ate outside and it started getting a bit cold (thanks guys for eating outside!). The pictures of the bridge didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked, but so it goes for an artist/photographer. After dinner, we headed back to Cheryl’s house, outside of Sacramento. She and I took a short trip down memory lane by looking at photos from Tucson. Unfortunately, I did not remember many of the times portrayed in the photos. Cheryl asked me why I thought I didn’t remember. I didn’t have an answer.
Friday March 14, 2008:
Yosemite was the plan for the day! Woohoo! I couldn’t wait to see this park! We left Cheryl’s house in the late morning, and stopped by Starbucks where she ordered a triple- shot-caramel macchiato, and I ordered my usual venti-quad-no-whip iced mocha. Then we started on our way to Yosemite. Cheryl drove, so I cannot even tell you the roads that we took, but it was a beautiful drive, with green rolling hills, cute farmhouses, and a reservoir. She pulled over many times so that I could take photos. We talked a lot, and listened to music, and sometimes said nothing at all. It seemed as if the connection we once had was still there. I suppose that some lifetime connections will be always be there!
Upon arriving at the park, I took photos of Half Moon, Bridal Falls, Yosemite Falls and many more formations. It was so beautiful, and I was in wonder each time I pressed the shutter. I realize how insignificant we are, compared to nature and all of Earth’s powers. So cool! So Cool! There was snow, but it wasn’t too cold. Next time, I will have to make time for camping (in the already provided tent cabins) and spend several days there. I really want to be there when the flowers are in bloom, and get some shots of Mirror Lake.
After the park, we made our way to Cheryl’s aunt’s house, who lived close to Yosemite. Her aunt was crazy and fun and had made us a wonderful dinner. Yum Yum! It was really great to meet her and talk with her about some of her life experiences! She has had a very interesting life and many, many experiences.
From her aunt’s house, we drove back to Cheryl’s where we once again talked (about movies, in particular Miss Congeniality, and elephants, etc.) and listened to music. At one point, Cheryl stopped to pick up a rock for her backyard. She has a thing for rocks, which is pretty cool and interesting (she has done an amazing job of the pond in her backyard and the waterfall into her pool, both of which are made of rocks, and I was mighty impressed with her work).
Saturday March 15, 2008
The morning started with Cheryl bringing us (Cara and I) coffees from Starbucks, which was really nice of her to do. Then I was introduced to the music of Ani DiFranco. I had heard her name before, but had never listened to her music. She has a great voice, and her songs are really moving (since getting home, I have even ordered some of her cds). After coffee, we decided, on the advice and of Cara, to go to Monterey. So to Monterey the three of us headed, listening to Madonna, Melissa Etheridge, etc. Again, I was watching the scenery and do not know the roads that we took. But along the way was a windfarm, and I don’t know how many windmills there were, but there were a lot. I tried to capture a few shots, and hopefully got a few good ones, even though we were moving. Once we arrived in Monterey, we went to a rocky shore where there were tide pools. The view was extremely beautiful, with the blue-green waves crashing against the rocks, and the puffy white clouds hovering over the ocean providing an even more dramatic effect against the blue sky. An awesome sight it was! After the tide pools, we drove the 17 mile drive to see the beautiful oceanside. After the 17 mile drive, we dined at a restaurant on Fisherman’s Wharf. Then it was time for sunset photos from the tide pool rocks. The tide had come in, and there was a cute seal swimming around, though I was not able to see it very well. Sunset was gorgeous. I love this time of day. When the sun sets and the air seems so quiet, I am in a world of my own taking in the beautiful color changes in the sky, in the rocks and in the water. This is definitely my time to be in awe, self reflect and capture the ever-changing light of day.
Sunday March 16, 2008:
This was the day to go to San Francisco and spend some time with my own aunt, Gay. Cheryl and I got up early to go and take sunrise photos of the Tower Bridge before heading to San Francisco. It was a little chilly that morning, but the sunrise was great and the light on the bridge was very pretty as the sun rose. It was a quiet morning and several people were living under the bridge in tents. We tried not to disturb their sleep as I took the photos. After photos, was Starbucks once again, and then breakfast at a cute little Mexican restaurant. It was fun because we were the only ones in the restaurant. I suppose the rest of the world was sleeping in on Sunday. After breakfast, we headed to San Francisco, which is about an hour and a half away from Sacramento. Upon arriving in San Francisco, the sky was extremely clear and the Golden Gate Bridge was very visible. Cheryl drove me to my Gay’s house in Redwood City (which is close to San Fran). When we arrived at my aunt’s, we went to a place called Filoli, which stands for Fight, Love, Live. The mansion on the grounds was truly amazing as were the flowers, plants and trees. It was a mosaic of beautiful colors, and I took many, many photos there. From Filoli, we headed to a local restaurant. When it was time to order food, I was a little distracted by some of the events of the day, and could hardly decide what to eat, much less eat it when it arrived. I think I ordered a club sandwich, or something. After lunch, we headed back to my Gay’s house and Cheryl left. I was sad to see her leave since we had such a good time.
The Golden Gate Bridge and city photos were next on the agenda. Gay and I headed the parking lot on one side of the Golden Gate, and then walked half-way across the bridge, and then back to the parking lot. During our walk, local police officers drove up to the bridge, threw flares over the bridge, and the coastguard drove to where the flares were. We never did find out what they were doing. I can only assume that they were performing some kind of drill. After we were back in the parking lot, I set up my tripod to take the sunset and twilight photos of both the city and the Golden Gate. My batteries died just as the sky turned black.
Monday Mar 17, 2008:
The morning started with a trip to Starbucks before heading to a park that looked across to the Golden Gate and the city for sunrise photos. Gay and I were the only ones at this park, and it was so quiet, and serene and beautiful! We spent about an hour there so I could capture the morning sunrise. Then my batteries in my camera died again (even though I had charged them the night before). I had bought a new battery before the trip, I think that I need a new charger.
We headed back to Gay’s house so I could charge my batteries. After that we headed to drive along the Pacific 1 where the cliffs jutted out against the water. It was cool! I love the ocean! We ate at a little restaurant where I ordered fish tacos, which were just okay. From the restaurant, we headed to Treasure Island, where there was an awesome view of the Bay Bridge. I will definitely put sunset photos of the bay bridge from Treasure Island on my agenda next time. After that, Gay and headed to Twin Peaks to see the panoramic view of San Francisco. It was sooooo cool…… I took some photos, but will have to take more next time. From Twin Peaks, we headed to the Rodin Sculpture garden at Stanford. Once at the sculpture garden, I looked at each of the sculptures. My favorite was the “The Gates of Hell”, as there was extraordinary detail in it!! After the sculpture garden, we headed back to Gay’s to relax a bit. We ordered more Mexican food from a restaurant near her house. Gay and I ate fish tacos (which were much much better than the fish tacos earlier in the day) and Bob (Gay’s husband) ate a vegetarian burrito. It was fun to be able to visit with Bob, as I had only met him twice before! He sure is a happy little cheese eater, and you know that I love cheese too, so we definitely hit it off!
Tuesday Mar 18, 2008:
Time to head home. I loved California. There is such a diverse landscape, and so many things to do. I can definitely see myself having a second place out there. Many artists are based in more than one place, and I hope to be one of those!!
California was awesome!! Thanks to Cheryl, Cara, Gay and Bob!!!! You are super!

No comments: